Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Paints and Progress


Dropped by my local brick and mortar game shop today and picked up some new paint. I try to support both shops in town even though they are primarily GW/Fantasy outlets, so mostly that means buying paint. While I don't have any particular favorite paint, over the past few years I have tried to buy the better stuff (meaning for me: coverage, color, and consistency...not necessarily in that order). For years I used the cheap stuff from my local craft stores, like Ceramcoat and Palmer Prism that are workable but sometimes lack covering power. Lately though I've given myself the license to go for better quality paint since it really does make life much easier in the long run.

My staple brands have been GW and Vajello since I can readily get them nearby and they have given me great results. Today though, my local store had a new stock of P3 paints from Privateer Press (I think the line has been out for a few years) that I decided to try and on first blush are nice high quality paints... so my paint box is getting pretty "promiscuous" . But I still use the cheap Palmer Yellow since it is the best yellow for my purposes and surprisingly covers well. Yellow is for me a notoriously tough color coverage-wise so I sometimes judge a brand by yellow first.

And finally tonight I'm finishing up an Arab dhow and fortress tower converted from parts of an out of production "Weapons and Warriors" game made by Pressman that I got on ebay last month. The Major General's page has detailed instructions on how to make the dhow, so no construction pics here, but the game comes with 2 ships and 2 small dinghies! So after I get the sails on this evening, I'll post some before and after pics of the original plastic game components and the converted dhow in its finished glory!

Since this is the second Pressman set that I was able to acquire over the years, I still have two other boats that are in their original condition plus lots of the other parts. I sold one dhow and tower conversion on ebay from the first set, (they went for a surprisingly high price a couple of years ago.) thus leaving me with one plus the two new ones that came in the newest set so I'm knee deep in plastic boats! I'm figuring to make one as a square sailed 18th century 2 masted brig or sloop....and the third I may finish as a dhow and sell it to buy more stuff!

2 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Out here in the hinterlands of western Canada I'm pretty much limited to Ceramcoat and its sisters . . . but they tend to do what I want so I'm not complaining.

I look forward to the photos of the completed dhow.


-- Jeff

ZeroTwentythree said...

My "test" for Vallejo paints, years ago, was picking up a bright yellow and a bright red. They both had excellent coverage and I still use them.

They both usually go on top of a base color/shade of craft store dark red or golden yellow/sand respectively.

I'm in a similar situation to yours. I play at the local store, but some of the only things I'm usually interested in buying are the paints, so I try to support him with those purchases as best I can.