Friday, June 17, 2011

Jumping On the 10mm Bandwagon

There are a lot of guys out there who are doing some really great gaming in 10mm so I'm a bit late to the party, but this summer I'm scaling down all my WWII stuff to 10mm. I think the figure lines have really taken a leap forward in coverage and detail so it makes something I always wanted to do become something I definitely need to do now.
10mm Pendragon Germans and GHQ 6mm paper houses
What you are seeing here is an initial batch of Pendragon 10mm Germans next to some 1/285 GHQ paper houses (available free on their website). I'm finding a lot of 10mm players use 6mm buildings for less table coverage and it seems to look right with the minis...so initially, I'm doing it too. I'm going to collect armies for the Arnhem operations of WWII. There were lots of different troop types involved and that always makes for some fun army building. I'm using Blitzkrieg Commander rules for a start.

The initial German force I'm building is going to model Panzer Brigade 107...a unit that figured in the attempts to cut the main highway to Arnhem. It's an interesting unit typical of the period and is outfitted with Panthers and Jagdpanzer IVs so fun to paint. I just used the OB from the "Rapid Fire Rules" supplement, and just converted it to 1 stand = 1 platoon level.

These are just a few workbench pics of the Brigade as it is getting finished. Since I'm in the US I'm ordering these from "The War Store" online...and getting the usual great service even if Neal has to order the Pendraken stuff every 2 weeks. I was able to produce this brigade for around $120. USD...a real advantage over my usual 15mm Battlefront/Flames of War purchases which, though they are a quality product, really sting the pocketbook!

I'm pretty excited about the quality of these Pendragons and will post the British Grenadier Guards Battlegroup in a few weeks.
In the coming months, ultimately I'm hoping to rebuild my North Africa collection in 10mm as well since my 15mm desert collection has all been sold off to fund new projects...(and other more pressing financial things as well).

3 comments:

Stryker said...

It's also worth taking a look at the stuff from "Wargames South" here in the UK (not sure if anyone stocks them in the US). The Minifigs range is also surprisingly good. Hovels do a great range of 1/200th resin buildings too!

Ian

littlejohn said...

Thanks for the tip Ian, and BTW I do love your Hinton Hunts...but now they are so rare it seems I will never be able to collect them.

Dave

Keith Flint said...

The quality of those 10mm models is outstanding - looking good!

I think I'll be sticking to 15mm and 30mm myself - although that said I do have some 6mm GHQ stuff. The point being I'd prefer it to be 15mm but as you say, cost is a factor. I wouldn't have been able to explore a new period (Western Desert WW2) without using small scale miniatures.

And of course, BKC are the rules of choice for any discerning WW2 gamer!

Cheers, Keith.