Sunday, July 22, 2012

15mm Spanish Village: Finishing Up


 I was able to make a few final touches on the Spanish Village with the addition of bases that would cover a 2 1/2" grid square and give a little area for added scenics. Though I think I will have to use some method for indicating units occupying the buildings as there is no room for them in the square if a building is in place.
 I also had a try at making some plowed fields after being inspired by Jeff's suggestion using the Liquitex "Ceramic Stucco". All the bases and the fields were made of the backing cardboard from a pad of drawing paper cut to size. The walls on the fields and building bases were cardboard as well and served to stiffen the cardboard when later painted. I found the fields warped for a while when the Liquitex was drying but they dried flat eventually. Just a matter of painting and some added foliage and a small amount of static grass and time to call the project finished.
Here you can see the fit of the buildings on the gridded surface


 I also did a final pass with a sharp pencil across the lines of the roof tiles to get a more convincing rendition of a pan-tile roof.
The final effect looks ok to me, and the added bases also give another layer of protection to the inner core of relatively soft foam inside. The buildings seem pretty sturdy and should survive a few knocks.
All ready for battle!
So now the wait for the SCW figures from Peter Pig will hopefully not be too long.
(This just in,.... a note from Peter Pig just arrived in my in-box saying the SCW figures are now headed my way...!)

6 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I think that your village looks great . . . and that the fields do too (even if it was my suggestion).

I should point out that this village could just as easily be used for much earlier periods too.


-- Jeff

tradgardmastare said...

Super scenary- well worth the effort you have put in!

Rodger said...

Excellent!! Very nice scenary.

Mosstrooper said...

Very nicely done indeed .

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Agreed! They remind me of a similar village constructed many years ago by the late Ian Weekly. Good stuff.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Mark Dudley said...

Very nice indeed.

I started building my own portable wargame board using 60mm squares. My six year son is quite taken with it and wants a game this weekend.

I am going to try either Franco Prussian or WW1 using some 20mm figures that have not had a game in a long time.